If you are trying to lose weight, it makes good sense for you to search for the best weight loss diet. But with so many weight loss diets on the internet, popular bestselling diet books on the market, and DVD’s promising quick and easy weight loss, how can you tell which one is the best weight loss diet for you?
The best weight loss diet is the one that works best for you. The best weight loss diet will help you to lose weight while providing the protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and fluids you need to stay healthy. Here are 7 basic nutrition rules to follow when creating or choosing the best weight loss diet for you.
1. Eat a variety of foods from the 5 basic food groups. This will help to ensure that you are getting the protein, healthy fat, complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients you need to sustain your health while promoting healthy weight loss.
2. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. These foods are loaded with vitamins and minerals that might be otherwise hard to get. They are also packed with other health-promoting phytochemicals that have been shown to fight disease, build healthy tissue and promote good health on a weight loss diet.
3. Avoid going for long periods of time without eating. If you wait until you are hungry to eat, you are more likely to gobble down your food without even thinking and end up eating much more than you should.
4. Drink plenty of water between meals. Drinking a cup or two of water within thirty minutes to an hour before mealtime can dampen your appetite and help you to control your intake. This is a rather simple and effective way to avoid overeating and promote weight loss.
5. Create or choose a diet that eliminates excess calories from fat or sugar. Try to avoid fried food and fast food, including hamburgers, fried chicken, French fries and pizza. You will also need to avoid sodas, other sweetened drinks, chips, dips, cookies, candies, pastries and similar high-calorie snack foods.
6. Avoid diets that are extremely low in calories. A diet that is extremely low in calories can have you feeling hungry, which could lead to food binges or other forms of disordered eating. Furthermore, you could find yourself feeling sluggish and lacking the energy you need to remain active and boost your metabolism.
7. Eat an adequate amount of protein. Protein provides the building blocks for healthy tissues and creating the hormones and enzymes you need for optimum health. Make sure that you do not cut back on protein to your detriment.
Whether you decide to follow a diet plan that was created by someone else or you create your own, the best weight loss diet is one that works for you. It should promote lasting weight loss without ruining your health.
For more help with creating or finding the best weight loss diet, consult a registered dietitian or similarly qualified healthcare professional.
The information provided on this site is for education and general information purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. Please see your appropriate medical authority for personalized medical attention.
Also, please note that the appearance of any product or service on this site does not constitute an endorsement, unless specifically indicated.
About Dr. Dorene E. Carter
About Dr. Dorene E. Carter
Dr. Dorene E. Carter is a registered dietitian and nutrition consultant with over 25 years of experience in nutrition education, counseling, training, consulting and writing. She is founder and CEO of CHANA Project, the Child Health and Nutrition Access Project, a nonprofit organization serving children and families. Dr. Carter received her PhD in Nutrition from the University of California, Berkeley.