Friday, March 6, 2009

Baby Bottles

Six baby bottle companies have agreed to stop using Bisphenol-A (BPA) in baby bottles in response to concerns about serious health risks associated with this chemical.

In a March 5, 2009 press release, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal announced that the nation's six major baby bottle companies have agreed to stop using the toxic chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) in baby bottles -- a significant public health step that he asked them to take.

According to Blumenthal, BPA has been linked to a number of health problems in children, including damage to the reproductive, neurological and immune systems.

The Attorney General is pushing for a complete ban of BPA from certain children's products.

Read the entire press release online at
WebMD offers an interesting timeline regarding BPA. To view this timeline, visit WebMD at

"Speak up for America's children." Call your elected representative today to support the ban on BPA.

Dr. Dorene
Registered Dietitian
& Child Health and Nutrition Specialist

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Welcome to my diet and nutrition blog!

I am so excited about connecting with you through this blog. As a registered dietitian, I have dedicated over 25 years to teaching children and families about nutrition and health. This blog is a natural extension of this work,

As you know, childhood obesity is a major public health problem in the United States. And, according to the World Health Organization, it is becoming a global problem, as well. Clearly, we must all do our part to combat childhood obesity, so that our children will have the chance for a healthy future.

I will do my best to keep you posted on the latest in nutrition news and views. So, check back oftern. And be sure to share your ideas or ask a question.

The Child Health and Nutrition Expert

Please note that the information on this blog is intended for information and educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Indeed, if you have a problem that requires major adjustments in your diet, ask your doctor to give you a nutrition referral. Then seek the services of a registered dietitian or other qualified diet and nutrition professional.

Eat well and check back soon.